Extracted by, and copyright© 1997, 2009, 2016 Aaron Magdaleno
The Mission of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe del Norte was founded by Fray Garcia de San Francisco in the year 1659. Almost 300 years later it became a cathedral. It served as the mother mission of the area to the surrounding churches, such as Islet, Socorro, Senecu, San Lorenzo, and to the churches built along the Rio Bravo from San Elisario to Doña Ana.
The original document written by Fray Garcia on the Foundation of the Mission examined and copied in April 1888 by the well-known archaeologist, Adolph F. Bandelier, while the records were still housed at the church. By 1914 this document and other church records were missing.